I had a right mind to go in full rant mode, but would prefer instead to remind everyone to be thoughtful, considerate, and respectful to the people in your life. Attentiveness to others goes a long way. Never be so egocentric that you invalidate the feelings of others. It’s never too late to offer so kind a gesture as thoughtfulness.
I am now about five weeks into my Communication Disorders program. It still feels like an information dump. I’m getting a lot of information at once. Retention of said information is kicking my butt, though I do feel like I’m learning a lot.
- Applied Phonetics is more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Transcription is a fun challenge!
- Anatomy is every bit as enjoyable as I thought it would be. (It’s not.)
- My Normal Language Acquisition professor is sugar, spice and everything nice. I can tell she really loves being a speech-language pathologist. Her enthusiasm, compassion, and kind spirit continues to be a great source of encouragement.
- I never knew how many muscles were involved in taking a breath.
- I need more notecards. (And a better memory.)
This program is set to a higher standard than I’ve ever experienced academically. It’s going to be a lot of hard work. I feel like I’m off to a rocky start, and I haven’t been performing as well as I would like. Entering a university after attending a smaller college has been a wake up call, especially after taking nearly a year off. I haven’t started looking for a job yet, because I’ve wanted to adjust to the new academic environment and get back into the swing of things. It’s proving difficult, but I just have to buckle down. I had been so worried about picking a major and finding a good fit for me but since starting the program and learning about all the different roles of SLPs, I feel confident that I made the right choice. It seems like a fulfilling and rewarding path. Even though I’m all stress and nerves right now, I have to learn to be still.
So I just moved from my hometown, started my major program, and rented my first apartment. New shoes!!
Weather Channel gives some solid advice.
Jim Henson’s most slept on. Did y’all watch this?
x / x / x / x